Lower (more commonly referred to as "bottom") surgery for male-to-female (MtF) transition can refer to vaginoplasty, orchiectomy, penectomy, and/or labiaplasty. (Yes, there needs to be more explanation of these...) Vaginoplasty, with or without labiaplasty, is often referred to as SRS (sex reassignment surgery), GRS (genital reconstruction surgery / gender reassignment surgery), or GCS (gender confirmation surgery) -- although some of these terms may also be used to refer to other types of gender-transition surgery as well.
- How Gender Confirmation Surgery Actually Works: includes CGI animation video
- SRSmentor - not sure how useful this site is
- Vaginoplasty: Male to Female Sex Reassignment Surgery by Lynn Conway
- 2017-04-05 8 Common Misconceptions About Gender Reassignment Surgery: the answer to #7 is only partly true; you can be cleared for surgery without a 2-year RLE, and many people have to pay cash for it (Medicaid only covers it in some states, as of 2017).
- 2013-05-20 Having sex after gender reassignment surgery is ‘satisfactory’ for most says new study
- 2014-04-22 - 2015-05-03 SEX CHANGE JOURNEY by Princess Joules: found it harder than expected, though it was ultimately successful
- 2014-04-24 - 2014-12-20 A Girl for All Seasons GRS videos
- Christine McGinn, DO (Papillon Center, New Hope, PA)
- Kathy Rumer - Ardmore, PA
- does GCS and other surgeries for both MtF and FtM patients
- Keelee MacPhee, MD (Raleigh/Durham, NC): "requires that her transgender patients be referred by a licensed healthcare and/or mental health professional", which seems pretty close to Informed Consent though this says she follows WPATH
- Loren Schechter  - Morton Grove, IL
- Marci Bowers (Wikipedia) - San Mateo, CA (started in Trinidad, CO)
- 2011 AMA About My Post-Op GCS Experience With Dr. Bowers! (Posted in 2012, apparently one year after the surgery)
- Sherman Leis (web site) - Bala Cynwyd, PA
- Toby Meltzer (Wikipedia) - Scottsdale, AZ
- 2001 katesrs.html (seems to be in the UK somewhere)
- Eugene Schrang (tsroadmap, Facebook) - Neenah, WI
- Stanley Biber (Wikipedia) (d.2006) - Trinidad, CO; mentor to Marci Bowers
- Transgender Care Listings: Surgeons (Genital/Bottom)
Questions to Ask
(Where possible, get answers from web site first; perhaps confirm with surgeon.)
- Do you have a fixed price for the procedure? If not, can you estimate the likely cost?
- How long is your wait-list, at present, for a surgery appointment?
- How soon could I get an appointment for an initial consultation?
- When did you first start doing vaginoplasty?
- Approximately how many vaginoplasties have you performed?
- Have any of your vaginoplasty patients reported unexpected issues?
- Do you prefer to do vaginoplasty in a single operation, or labia and clitoral hood separately?
- Can you put me in touch with transwomen whose surgeries you performed (or point me at what they've written about their experiences)?