Duke Forest/area/home sales
< Duke Forest | areaJump to navigation Jump to search
Information about houses sold or for sale in Duke Forest, Durham, NC. Most of this information comes from semi-regular mailings by local real estate agent Faye U. Hislop regarding home sales in the Duke Forest area.
- #826 (828 was typo?) - closed for $350,000 (list) July-Sept 2006 "Wonderful home in Duke Forest – great investment. Seller replaced roof & gutters summer 2005. Two blocks from Duke Gardens."
- #828 - "historic estate home on 2.3 acres. Completely renovated. Wide base and crown mouldings, custom door and window casings."
- 2009-Jul/Sep: sold for $1.05m
- 2009-Apr/Jun: asking $1.25m
- #1009 - sold for asking price $179,000 Jan-Mar 2008 - 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, hardwood floors, garage. "New vinyl in kitchen, replacement windows, new interior paint."
- #1014 - "just listed" (2006-10-16) for $254,000 - "Wonderful 1960s home with character! All hardwood floors on main level. Open LR/DR & delightful screened porch. Lower level has Family Room with fireplace, full batch & room which could be used as a studio, office, etc. New exterior trim paint, new tile floors in Kitchen & two baths. Fenced yard, great storage area in walk-up attic and carport and all appliances convey. Located close to Duke campus & walking trails."
- #1311 - listed $315,900 July-Sept 2007, sold $304,200 Jan-Mar 2008 - "Wonderful space / well maintained home. Recent updates - vinyl siding, roof, replacement windows, exterior doors, landscaping."
- #5 - closed July-Sept 2006 for $299,500 - "Tucked away on private cul-de-sac lot. MBR up or down. DR has FP."
- #2706 - "closing soon" July-Sept 2006 - list $525,000 - "Fabulous comtemporary on wooded lot. Beautifulclerestory windows and Harwood floors."
- #2720 - 1459 ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 bthrms, built 1956
- 2008-12-12 sold for $189k (44 days on market)
- 2008-10-?? asked $213.5
- #2738 - asked $289,000, sold $275,000 Jan-Mar 2008 - "Well-maintained home on large wooded lot." ... >2400 ft2 living area plus huge workshop and attached office"
- #2205 - closed for $659,900 (list) - "Expansive and wonderfully appointed home on 0.992-acre lot. Fabulous gourmet kitchen, high-end SS(?) appliances, solid surface counters."
- #2222 - closed for $462,500 July-Sept 2007 - list $475,000 - "0.66-acre lot. Updated gem (realtor-code for "older house"?), with easy flow for gathering and entertaining. Privacy, efficiency, storage."
- #2235 - closed for $275,000 (list) April-June 2006 - "Charming home on a hill overlooking one of the prettiest streets in Duke Forest. Very well maintained; ready for your updates."
- #2239 - 2273 ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 bthrms, 1 half-bath, built 1939 - "unique English country design... many built-ins, detached garage, excellent shape, beautifully landscaped lot"
- 2009-04-21 sold for $478k (67 days on market)
- 2009-02-?? asking $519k
- #2240 - 3484 ft2, 5 bedrms, 4 bthrms, 2 half-baths, built 1940
- 2008-08-18 sold for $850k (8 days on market)
- 2008-08-10 asking $850k
- #2256 - asking $389,000 Jan-Mar 2008 - "Stately brick home" on 1 acre. "Once owned by local gardener -- mecca of plantlife."
- #2823 - 3961 ft2, 4 bedrms, 3 bthrms, 2 half-baths, built 1977
- 2008-09-25 sold for $460k (44 days on market)
- 2008-08-?? asking $499k
- #2729 - closed for $229,900 July-Sept 2006 - "Custom-built one-owner home on deep wooded lot. Huge LR/DR, den, or 4th bedroom."
- #2733 - closed approx. 2006-11-07 (price not known)
- #2745 - 1931 ft2, 4 bedrms, 2 bthrms, 1 halfbath, built 1955 - "mid-century modern... unique contemporary 1-level with open design, new patio, arbor"
- 2009-05-26 sold for $325k (4 days on market)
- 2009-05-22 asked $335k
- #2749 - closed for $365,000 (list) July-Sept 2006 - "A real gem – designed by Willie Sprinkle with lovely flow, elegant proportions, beautiful details, lots of light. Level lot; bike to Duke."
- #2810 - listing for $414,900 July-Sept 2007 - "Wonderful sprawling 1-level family home on 1.4-acre lot. Amazing oak floors, 3 fireplaces, lots of light in formal areas and in each bedroom and bathroom."
- #2813 - listing for $259,900 July-Sept 2007, sold $245,000 Jan-Mar 2008 - "Completely renovated – open floorplan, fresh paint in and out, new roof, new hardwood floors, tile kitchen and bathroom floors, granite."
- #1208 - 1512 ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 bathrms, built 1948
- 2008-08-29 sold for 200k (7 days on market)
- 2008-08-22 asking $214.9k
Duke University Rd.
- #1722 - listing for $375,000 July-Sept 2007 - "Wonderful high lot within stone's throw of Duke University. Multitude of possibilities with floorplan. Lots of hardwood floors, large rooms."
This neighborhood was built in the 1980s (I remember Wade Rd. having curbs but no pavement yet circa 1981, when Jenny & I used to hang out in "Egypt" which later became The Forest at Duke. -W.
- #6 - closed for $480,000 July-Sept 2007 - list $489,000 - "Striking architecture, passive solar cont.(?) designed by Jon Condoret. 2 levels with deck amid trees, half-acre lot."
- #19 - closed for $415,000 Oct-Dec 2007 (list $445,000 July-Sept 2007) - "Gracious, open Cont.(?) on cul-de-sac, private wooded lot, hardwood floors in living room, dining room, and kitchen. Great built-ins. Screened porch; hot tub."
- #4 - "closing soon" April-Sept 2006 - list $630,000 - "Fabulous location in the heart of Duke Forest. New construction within walking distance to Duke Golf Course." This lot is located in an awkward place over a stream/gulley and probably wasn't developed because of all the fill-in and irrigation work which had to be done. (yes, it has been "closing soon" for at least 2 listings now; so far no photo in listing, just concept drawing) I've often wondered what they did with the stream. -W.
- #1635 - "just sold" on 2006-08-30 - list $298,500 - "Cool contemporary w/loads of potential. one owner home w/fabulous private lot - lots of trees & flowers. Kitchen/FR looks out to backyard."
- #1646 - 3077 ft2, 4 bedrms, 3 baths, built 1966
- 2010-02-26 sold for $495 k (asked $499k 4 days earlier)
- #2612 - 2352 ft2, 4 bedrms, 2 bthrms, built 1969 - "rooms to accommodate 2 offices. Lots of closets and windows. Lot sets back from the street... rose garden, deck/patio, partially fenced."
- 2009-02-12 sold for $281.5k (97 days on market)
- 2008-12-?? asked $314.5k
- #2620 - closed for $434,000 July-Sept 2007 - list $440,000 - "Wonderful spaces and possibilities. Rooms for 2 offices, great exercise spaces, yard is a dream - great for outdoor entertaining."
- #2624 - The Louis and Helen DeAlessi House
- #2709 - 2080 ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 baths, built 1964
- 2010-04-15 sold for $350k (asking price, after 27 days)
- #2710 - 2854 ft2, 4 bedrms, 2 baths, built 1962
- 2010-05-19 sold for 312k (asked $320k 73 days earlier)
- #2714 - 2070+ ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 bthrms, 1 half-bathrm, 0.55 acres - "formal living and dining room on main level with family room on lower level. Spacious kitchen with refrigerator, range, and dishwasher. Gas FWA heat and water, central air. All bedrooms second level, hobby/workshop lower level, along with utility room. ...rear deck/patio. Hardwood floors main and 2nd floor, ceramic tile in bathrooms."
- 2009-11-12 sold for $198k (asked $209k 48 days earlier)
- 2009-09-01~ asking $215k
- #2719 - Woozle grew up here, 1967-1985; it was sold a year or three after that, but I don't have any details. Our family expanded it somewhat circa 1971 (block-shaped addition with living room and basement); subsequent owners have apparently expanded it further (to the left is a carport apparently with living space above it, which was built sometime after 1990; there appears to have been some expansion in back as well, but this is harder to see).
- #2741 - closed for $279,500 April-June 2006 - list $285,000 - "Great space, light & bright; close to Duke & walking trails, .73-acre lot backs up to part of Duke Forest. Private & wooded view." "Part of Duke Forest" in this case refers to the wooded area between McDowell and Highway 751 (Academy Rd.), which is owned by Duke University.
- #2744 - asking $332,500 April 2008 - architect: William Sprinkler; "triple floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room"... curved brick patio, lots of natural light, hardwood floors, custom bookshelves in foyer and flanking living room fireplace, spacious living room open to dining room, updated kitchen with five-burner gas range, breakfast bar, small family room adjacent to kitchen with glass door to backyard. Study-size laundry room with 3 windows. 3 bedrooms, 2 full bathrooms and 2 half-bathrooms. Large closets in all bedrooms, hall closets, huge floored attic, fenced backyard.
- #2703 - 4353 ft2, 5 bedrms, 4 bathrms, 1 half-bath, built 1966 - "traditional quality construction, spacious rooms, beautiful landscaping"
- 2009-06-12 sold for $501k (22 days on market)
- 2009-05-?? asking $550k
- #2710 - 1928 ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 bthrms, 1 half-bath, built 1967 - "ranch-style plan, spacious rooms, some built-ins. Screened rear porch overlooking rear yard, 2 fire places, beautiful floors, steps to attic off hall."
- 2009-05-04 sold for $283.9k (133 days on market)
- 2009-??-?? asking $298k
- #2715 - Harena grew up here, from 1968 to the late seventies; it was sold in, I think, the 1990s, but I don't have any details.
- #2814 - "Quality-built contemporary by Goforth, hardwood floors, bright family room, wood-burning fireplace, lush landscaped wooded homesite with large deck and fenced yard"
- closed for $305,000 Jan-Mar 2008
- listing for $310,000 Oct-Dec 2007
- listing for $325,000 July-Sept 2007
- closed for $324,900 July-Sept 2006
- #2900 - asking 369,900 Jan-Mar 2008 - "Quality-built Cape Cod. Master bedroom downstairs, 3 bedrooms upstairs along with home office / studio. Formal living room / dining room with FR(?) with gas-log fireplace."
- #2409 - closed for $227,500 (list) July-Sept 2006 - "Fine detailed Cape Cod within walking/biking distance to Duke's East Campus. Yard & grounds park-like, two screen porches, remodeled"
- #2413 - 1951 ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 bthrms, built 1951 - "George Birmingham - quality built brick cottage ... updated baths... sunny kitchen with one-year-old appliances... hardwood floors, large windows, lots of light; built-ins and interesting details. Sunny multi-purpose room... Washer-dryer hookups also in kitchen and basement. Nice grounds."
- 2009-03-31 sold for $243.5k (89 days on market)
- 2009-01-?? asking $249.5k
- 2009-01-?? asking $264k
- #2419 - asking $276,000, closed $269,000 Jan-Mar 2008 - brick ranch, large private lot. "Newly renovated kitchen with solid surface countertops, stainless appliances"
- listing for $279,900 Oct-Dec 2007, sold $275,730 Jan-Mar 2008 - "Walk to Duke & forest trails, retro kitchen w/updated stainless appliances, lots of nooks & crannies only found in older homes, bedroom #3 [would make a] perfect office"
- closed for $259,000 April-June 2006 - list $259,900 - "Charming cottage-walk to campus, hardwood floors, two renovated baths, retro kitchen w/new flooring. All stainless appliances."
- #2507 - list $175,000 Oct-Dec 2007 - "Charming vintage cottage on acre. Rocking chair front porch, large remodeled kitchen open to dining room via bar, custom built-in cabinets, hardwoods."
Durham County Government has recent sales data.
- #101 - closed for $226,000 April-June 2006 - list $229,900 - "New construction! One level w/finished bonus over garage. Covered front porch and deck; hardwood floors-foyer, deep lot." The lot for this house, which is on the corner of Chapel Hill Rd., was originally part of the yard for the next house. The new house is neither intriguingly unconventional/modern nor really a quality match for the rest of the neighborhood; it looks much more cookie-cutter. The builders also demolished pretty much all of the screening shrubbery between the house and Chapel Hill Road (which is pretty busy) and then put up a fence as a partial replacement -- but the new residents have done a nice job with decorative plants between fence and sidewalk.
- #103 - 2802 ft2, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms.
- The lot on which this house stands originally included the lot which is now #101; it was cleared and split off circa 2003, removing a significant buffer of plant growth between this end of Pinecrest and Chapel Hill Road.
- 2008-02-26 for rent for $2000 (Craig's List) or $2150 (Louise Beck) per month: "The ground level first floor has a large sunlit living room with fireplace and formal dining room, both with hardwood floors. In additional there is a cozy family room/den with fireplace and built ins and an eat-in kitchen on this level. Kitchen appliances are included. Both the large master bedroom with private bath and walk-in- closet and a second bedroom complete the first floor. There are hardwood floors through out the first, with tile in the master bath. The two additional remaining bedrooms and a large utility room with washer hook up and dryer included are located in the finished lower level of home - walk out basement. This level has carpet. There is a huge screened porch with ceiling fan is accessed from the den and overlooks the back yard. The screened porch is over the carport and additional storage area."
- 2005-07-08~ asking $485,000 - "Charming brick Georgian ranch w/gracious sized rooms. Hardwoods on first level. Office has a closet, can serve as 4th bedroom. Room for a gym, hobby or workroom on lower level. A separate buildable lot (left side) is included w/property. Reclaimed gardens will be a horticulturist's delight. Some fantastic renovations by current owner." (2005-10-07 The buildable lot is now being built on, presumably to be sold separately.)
- 2005-08-31 no longer for sale. Second owner says: Feel free to stop by and say hi!
- #113 - (why in the world did they cut down that gorgeous old oak tree? --Woozle 10:00, 21 Sep 2005 (EDT))
- #117 - 1931 ft2 4 bedrms, 2 baths, built 1931
- 2009-12-28 sold for $508k (asked $519k 5 days earlier)
- #122 - owned by Harena of The Hypertwins with no plans for sale (unless the steadily-increasing property taxes due to the steadily-increasing property "values" in this area force us to sell)
- #123 - 4 bedrms, 3 bthrms, 1 halfbth, built 1938
- 2009-09-30 sold for $475k (95 days on market)
- 2009-06 asking $525k (whoa.)
- 2008-02/03 sold for $210k; new 2008 owners did substantial remodeling, including vinyl siding
- 2008-02 listing for $249,900
- 2008-01 listing for $299,500.-W.)
- Was occupied by Dan and Rosa, who moved to the SF Bay area in January 2008 -- we miss you!
- Description at this time: "Charming and unique all-brick home" ... "Grove Park Inn style fireplaces in Living Room and Sun Room / Family Room; pine paneling; built-in cabinetry; hardwood and pine floors; Basement with Workshop/Garage and a large private backyard. Living Room / Dining Room, 2 or 3 bedrooms. Needs work but has fabulous potential! 0.50-acre lot." 1 bath.
- #133 - 1867 ft2, 3 bedrms, 1 bthrm, 1 half-bath, built 1940 - "Charming brick cottage, walk-up attic for expansion, full unfinished basement"
- 2009-05-07 sold for $257k
- 2009-05-01 asking $250k
- #139 - 3 bedrms, 2 bathrms, built 1936 - "clinker brick English cottage style home, beautiful library, spacious dining and living room"
- 2009-09-17 sold for $365k (49 days on market)
- 2009-07 asked $385k (seller is Brian Towey of I&B Communications)
- #143: burned down 2005, rebuilt 2006-7
- #1511 - 2350 ft2, 4 bedrms, 2 bathrms, built 1961* - The Alan and Sylvia Kerckhoff Residence, designed by Don Stewart
- *one source says built 1962
- 2009-08-06 sold for $390k (62 days on market)
- 2009-06-?? asking $399,950
- #1527 - The J. Francis and Primrose Paschall House, designed by Harwell Hamilton Harris and built 1963.
- #2508 - listing for $465,000 July-Sept 2007 - "Brick home with many updates - new kitchen with beautiful cabinets, island, granite and state-of-the-art appliances. Open floorplan, hardware floors in living room, dining room, hearth, and kitchen."
- #2532 - The Nathan and Rita Kaufmann House
- #2527 - 2843 ft2, 4 bedrms, 3 bthrms, built 1961 - "wraparound deck, split foyer with hardwood floors, large windows"
- 2009-05-04 sold for $359k
- 2009-06-?? asking $359.9k
- #2707 - The Hans and Christian Gerhard House
- #2713 - closed for $435,000 (list) April-June 2006 - "Spectacular all-brick home on 3/4 acre. Meticulously cared for w/many recent updates including gracious new entrance."
- #2721 The Thomas and Nancy Wilson Residence
- #2733 - closed for $329,900 (list) July-Sept 2006 - "Handsome well-built brick & frame 2-story on a lovely lot in Duke Forest. Bike to W. Campus along wooded trails. Hardwood floors."
- #2719 - 4 bedrms, 3 bthrms, built 1966 - "Gorgeous lot, impeccably maintained... Unpretentious luxury... stunningly livable, spacious... Completely remodeled kitchen spills into dramatic dining/family room area... Massive living room with high ceilings & fireplace, over-sized dining room"
- 2009-05-08 sold for $500k
- 2009-05-02 asking $489.9k
- 2009-Jan/Mar asking $449k
- #2722 - sold $423,000 Oct-Dec 2007 (list $449,000) - The Cliff and Lucie Wing Residence, built 1967. 3420 ft2. More here. "Very special architect-designed home. Kitchen addition and update in 1990. Granite counters, Viking range, multitude of cabinets, covered deck, stone patio entry in 1990."
- #2727 - 3444 ft2, 4 bedrms, 3 bthrms, 1 half-bath, built 1965 - "gorgeous lot... super floor plan, spacious living room with fire place, family room with built-ins"
- 2010-01-22 sold for $485k (asked $525k 144 days earlier)
- 2009-04-01 sold for $265k (10 days on market)
- 2009-03-?? asking $289.9k
- #1724 - closed for $377,500 April-June 2006 - list $385,000 - "Rare Duke Forest home. Diverse architectural neighborhood. Quiet street w/wooded privacy. Bonus room has cathedral ceiling."
- #1227 - asked $174.9k, sold for $161k Jul-Sep 2009 - "Open spaces... corner-joined windows... new kitchen with abundant cabinetry..."
- #4 - 2867 ft2, 4 bedrms, 2 bathrms, 1 half-bath, built 1984
- 2008-09-15 sold for $465k (51 days on market)
- 2008-07-?? asking $485k
- 2006-04/06 sold for $421.5k (asked $424.5k) - "Stately brick traditional in excellent condition. Hardwood floors on both levels. Wonderful playroom off kitchen; great sunroom."
- #9 - asking $630,000 Jan-Mar 2008 - over 4200 ft2 "contemporary designed by Jon Condoret. Sunken living room with 2-story tongue-and-groove ceilings, 2.5-story stone fireplace."
- #1106 - closed for $273,000 July-Sept 2006 - "Much larger than it looks! 5BR Cape Cod with 1st floor BR, 2 FPs, pine paneled kitchen."
- #1124 - 3 bedrms, 2 baths, 1 half-bath, built 1955
- 2009-10-28 sold for $238k (asked $247k 50 days earlier)
- #1402 - 2684 ft2, 4 bedrms, 3 bthrms, built 1963
- 2008-10-09: sold for $422k (29 days on market)
- 2008-09-??: asking $432k (York Simpson Underwood) - "4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms (all new), beautifully renovated, gorgeous kitchen, oak and bamboo floors, stone fireplace"
- 2007-07/09 sold for $260k
- 2007: asking $299k - "Well-built one-owner home with .68-acre corner lot. All rooms are large. Hardwood floors."
- #1608 - The Knoerr Residence
- #1702 - designed by Harwell Hamilton Harris for William and Carol Van Alstyne
- #1808 - 3 bedrm, 3 bthrm, built 1970 - "contemporary... tree-house living in a grove of Japanese maples. Vaulted ceilings, wood floors."
- 2009-08-26 sold for $348.5k (19 days on market)
- 2009-08-07 asked $348k
- #1843 - closed for $280,000 April-June 2006 - list $285,000 - "Pre-inspected & completely repaired. Fresh paint, AHS warranty - one level contemporary. Natural solitude; new sunroom & deck."
- #2352 - 1910 ft2, 3 bedrms, 2 bthrms, built 1957
- some listings show this as #2532
- 2008-12-08 sold for $315k (33 days on market)
- 2008-11-?? asked $325k
- #2417 - closed for $216,000 April-June 2006 - list $229,900 - "Wonderful home on a quiet corner lot just minutes from Duke, Duke Trails & Wrightwood Park."
- #2433 - "closing soon" July-Sept 2006 - list $236,000 - "Classic brick ranch w/large living/dining room - pocket door to eat-in kitchen"
- #2502 - closed for $215,000 April-June 2006 - list $249,000 - "Walk to Duke & trails around golf course. Attractive brick home with 4 BRs & 2 BAs on private .69-acre lot with pretty rose garden."
- 2009-12-01 sold for $364k (asked $379,5k 184 days earlier)
- 2009-07/09 asking $379.5k, "pending close date" Jul-Sep 2009 - "Classic 1950s ranch... skylights, plenty of windows, family room with cathedral ceiling, hardwoods"
- #2513 - The Kimble Residence
- #2528 - asking $400k ("great price reduction") Apr 2010 - "tastefully updated, new quality bathrooms, granite & heated floors, 1st floor office or bedroom"
These two pages have largely not been mined for information: