David Brin, Ph.D. is a well-known science fiction author; he has won both the Hugo and Nebula awards. He is also known as a leading commentator on current technological and political trends, and many of these writings are available in various places online.
I couldn't find any quick-and-easy lists of Brin's online works, so that will be the main function of this page (since Wikipedia covers the rest quite nicely). The Index is by no means complete, but I will be adding to it as time permits. --Woozle 12:36, 5 November 2005 (EST)
A helpful source might be: http://www.davidbrin.com/biography.html
- Holocene Chat, Brin' attempt to redesign real-time chat for the 21st century
- The ArchiTECHS, a show on The History Channel featuring Brin and several other notable innovators
- Uplift Universe:
- official web site (alternate servers)
- Contrary Brin, David Brin's blog
- Daily Kos: began cross-posting from Contrary Brin on 2007-01-18
- Earth by David Brin: wiki created to track "predictive hits" for Brin's novel Earth (see also Prediction Registry)
- 2007-01-21 "Designed to Let Us Down: our deliberately frail cell phone system": wikified Contrary Brin posting about creating a peer-to-peer cellphone network
- Jack Williamson: Master of Consistency and Change: updated 2006-11-10, shortly after Williamson's death
- Want to Live Forever?
- Singularities and Nightmares: The Range of Our Futures (wiki page)
- "Political Totemism and the Danger of Metaphors" (intended to be read in sequence):
- An Open Letter to Alien Lurkers
- Book Reviews
- 2005-09-11 'War' dispatches: review of The Republican War on Science by Chris Mooney: "The modern scientific era has brought about many wondrous things, but it's under attack; Chris Mooney rises to the defense."
- 2003-12 Been Up So Long, It Looks Like Down to Me: a challenge to the "common notion that our wisdom has lagged behind technology"
- Society & Politics
- America's Declining State of Readiness (2006)
- Disputation Arenas: Harnessing Conflict and Competitiveness for Society's Benefit (2000aug)
- The Real Culture War (2004)
- Gerrymandering (wiki page with index to all versions of article)
- Reducing Blame to Fundamentals (article posted on wiki page)
- The Hidden Danger to Public Servants: BLACKMAIL
- 2000 2001: A Space Odyssey: Shining Light on How Far We've Come
- 1999-12-23 A Quiet Adult: My Candidate for Man of the Century: George Marshall
- Technology and Science:
- Seeking a New Fulcrum - Parapsychology and the Need to Believ in a New Transcendence
- On the art of fiction:
- small trove of advice for writers
- The Enlightenment, Romanticism and Science Fiction: "Heirs of Ben Franklin and Those of Percy Shelley Vie for the Future"
- Ideomancer interview
- An Interview about Science Fiction and the Environment
- ArtistInterviews interview
- The Planetary Society interview
- The Matrix: Tomorrow May Be Different
- We Hobbits are a Merry Folk... "...an incautious and heretical re-appraisal of J.R.R. Tolkien"
- On Star Wars:
- An Open Proposal to the SF Community from the "Killer Bees" (David Brin, Gregory Benford, Greg Bear)
- 2004-11-06 Evaluating Horizons: streaming and MP3