- The Author creates all the Cards for any given universe (I'm using "universe" to mean e.g. SnowRPG or Fallen London).
- Cards are basically choices (presented to the Player) or events that result from the Player's choices.
- Cards are visually presented as being in a "deck", but this is kind of a misleading metaphor since at any given time only some Cards are available (i.e. those with no restrictions plus those for which the Player qualifies at present)
- The Author determines the conditions under which each card may appear (i.e. the qualifications).
- Conditions are generally based on the value of one or more Character Qualities at any given moment.
- Cards have a few special Qualities which apply only to them.
- Discardable (on/off): player can get rid of card without playing it
- Retainable (on/off): if the user's Qualities change so that they no longer qualify for a Card they've been dealt, the Card remains among their choices; it is "grandfathered" in.
- Opportunity vs. Always:
- An "opportunity" is a card that's in your hand, so one that appears at random if you have the required qualities.
- "Always" cards are cards that are always available (so long as you meet the requirements)