API / Bots
Basic setup: the Developer Documentation includes controls for managing bots. Under
Applications -> Authorized Apps you add an application, then add a user for that application. (It will say this is "irrevocable"; I'm not sure what this means, but it may mean that the user will exist forever and you can't delete it, or it may just mean that the user will always be tied to the application for as long as the application still exists. It looks like you can delete the application and start over if you want.) The "bot token" you will need for running the app is on the application properties page, under
app bot user -> token.
What the API calls a "guild" is the same thing as a "server".
Next, you have to authorize the bot to join one or more servers (guilds) by opening a URL based on this one: https://discordapp.com/oauth2/authorize?&client_id=YOUR_CLIENT_ID_HERE&scope=bot&permissions=0 This will let you add the bot to any servers where you have sufficient privileges.
- Developer Documentation
- Developer Portal
- Discord OAuth2 Example
- The Robot Revolution has Unofficially Begun (Unofficial API): blog post about the "official unofficial API"
- discord-hypertext: "An unofficial PHP API wrapper for the Discord client"
- LoggerBot -- or should it be DiscordBot?
- Discord Chat Explorer (recommended by mek) - apparently doesn't include edits, though
- Discord History Tracker (script/browser extension): Discord script, just fetches past history