Jump to navigation Jump to search
For an overview of all the aspects of gender in this sense of the word, see Gender 101.
It also is used in the context of:
- connectors in electronics and plumbing
- pronouns in English
- nouns in many languages
- Less common uses include Gender of tonalities and Voice (grammar)
- /101: summary of current scientific understanding of gender
- /transfusions: evidence around the need to gender-match transfusion donor and recipient
- Dictionary.com has a good explanation under "Usage note", starting with: "Although it is possible to define gender as “sex,” indicating that the term can be used when differentiating male creatures from female ones biologically, the concept of gender, a word primarily applied to human beings, has additional connotations—more rich and more amorphous—having to do with general behavior, social interactions, and most importantly, one's fundamental sense of self."