As of this writing, at least one system is available for use, though it requires some advanced skills to install. The merits and costs of various possible designs need to be explored and mapped out more fully.
Decentralized DNS is often referred to as distributed DNS. This arguably misses the point, as DNS is already at least partly distributed, but hierarchically with a central master registry through which all information must ultimately pass.
- Pirate Bay Proposes Distributed DNS: article has been lost, but there are comments
- BitTorrent Based DNS To Counter US Domain Seizures
- 2010-12-02 Really simple distributed DNS
- 2011-05-12 Namecoin - A DNS alternative based on Bitcoin
- 2011-10-18 Continuing the Distributed DNS System
- 2011-12-26 Distributed DNS?: Namecoin seems to be the popular system...
- (date unknown) Secure Distributed DNS: scientific paper by researchers at IBM and Carnegie Mellon proposing a system