- Localities: /Durham
As a social service issue, autism is handled as part of the mental health system, so much of the information on that page will be relevant for obtaining services.
- Carolina Living & Learning Center: mainly a demonstration facility; openings are rare and highly sought.
- GHA Inc. "Quality Services For Individuals with Autism": multiple facilities. Highly recommended by at least one source.
- NC Division of Health Service Regulation Licensed Facilities: see "Mental Health Facility Listing by County" (covers other mental health issues besides autism; extensive lists)
Discussion / Personal Experiences
- Autistic services in North Carolina?: forum discussion 2006-09-26 to 2008-02-12
- Josh and The System at HypertWiki: some bits of a case history in Durham, from The Hypertwins
- Jordan Lake School of the Arts "An arts based inclusive school for children on the spectrum." Private school in Apex.
- Autism Society of NC (links)
- Family Support Network of NC: "to promote and provide support for families with children who have special needs"
- NAMI NC: National Alliance on Mental Health, NC Chapter
- Parker Autism Foundation: "a non-profit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to serving North Carolina children with autism spectrum disorders and their families" based in Charlotte.
- The Mariposa School in Cary: "A school of excellence for children with autism to maximize development of their communication, social and academic skills."
- TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic and related Communication-handicapped CHildren)