Creating a New Page
There are several ways to create new pages. Here are the easiest:
search for it
- In the "search" box, type the exact name of the page you would like to create.
- If the page is found, then you may want to add your contents to the existing page, or you may want to use a different name.
- If the page does not exist, the search results will include a link to create it ("You can create this page") - click the link.
- Enter the contents you want
- Press the "Show preview" button to make sure things look ok
- You can preview and edit as many times as you want before saving
- Press the "Save page" button to save your work.
This assumes that you want another page to link to the new page.
- Edit the page which should have a link to the new page.
- Add the link: [[your new page's name here]]
- Save the edit:
- press [Show preview] to make sure things look ok -- your new link will be red, to indicate that the page doesn't exist (if it's blue, then the page does already exist)
- press [Save page] to save your changes
- Click on the red link you just created; this will take you to your new page, in edit mode.
- Enter the contents and save, as above.
I've written a MediaWiki extension which lets users create new pages by entering the title and contents at the same time, as well as other information which can be plugged into a template. I will be installing this extension and creating some forms/templates for HTYP when time permits (feel free to nag me!).