Hawkins Auto Care
Hawkins Auto Care in Durham, NC specializes in Japanese auto repair, and offers complete service for Acura, Honda, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, and Infinity. They will also do most work on other models, including American cars.
- Manual Transmission Repairs
- Official NC Inspection Station
- ASE Certified Master Auto Technician
- Towing available (they use Smith's Towing, but said if you have AAA, use that instead)
- Visa, MasterCard
- they don't do alignments in-house, but as a courtesy will take your vehicle to Tire King for alignments so you don't have to do multiple trips (they probably combine the billing as well, but that's just a guess)
- tire rotate & balance
- Phone: (919) 383-2046
- listings show "#4 120 15-501 Bypass, at Hillsboro Road Exit", but this may be an obsolete designation (Google Maps can't find it; the Hillsboro Rd. exit no longer has a connection to it, either)
- "Butler Ave 27705" shows the correct location on Google Maps (although this map also shows the exit connection which no longer exists)
- Directions: From Hillsborough Rd., take Christian Ave., then turn right onto dirt road (Wortham St.), and left at the end of Wortham onto Butler. Hawkins is in the warehouses, through the right-side entrance. (Wortham used to have a connection directly to the Hillsboro Road Exit, but this was blocked off when the new 15-501 right-exit bridge on I-85 was built in 2004.)
- Hours: M-Th 7:30 - 5:30 / F 7:30 - 5:00
2010: The quality seemed to be slipping by 2008 or so, and we have now switched to Durham Auto Diagnostic (which is much closer to us in any case). This isn't necessarily an "avoid", just not an enthusiastic thumbs-up anymore. (For instance: they told us that our A/C was dying, though it just sounded to me like the belt needed tightening. DAD tightened the belt several months ago in the process of fixing something else, and the A/C has worked fine ever since.) --Woozle 20:35, 2 June 2010 (UTC)
2005: We have taken several vehicles (including a 1987 Nissan Maxima, a 1996 Ford Windstar, and a 1983 Mercedes Benz) to Jim Hawkins over the years and have received consistently good service. --Woozle 13:29, 5 December 2005 (EST)
- auto shop: April 27, 2004: comments from a customer
Their yellow pages ad shows a web site, http://jimhawkinsautocare.com, but there does not appear to be a web site.
Domain Name: JIMHAWKINSAUTOCARE.COM Registrar: INTERCOSMOS MEDIA GROUP, INC. D/B/A DIRECTNIC.COM Whois Server: whois.directnic.com Referral URL: http://www.directnic.com Name Server: NS0.DIRECTNIC.COM Name Server: NS1.DIRECTNIC.COM Status: ACTIVE Updated Date: 01-dec-2005 Creation Date: 01-dec-2005 Expiration Date: 01-dec-2006
- 2007-07-16 update: The domain does not appear to have been renewed.