The Dell SmartStep 100N is a midweight Dell laptop with an Intel Celeron CPU.
from sample unit
- logo sticker says "designed for Microsoft Windows XP"
- Won't boot Ubuntu 6.06 liveCD past the initial screens; the display is somehow not initialized properly.
- Knoppix liveCD boots ok, but doesn't have enough RAM to load a full system
- The laptop comes with 2 CDs:
- "Reinstallation CD: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
- "Drivers, Utilities, and Applications" / "For Reinstalling Dell SmartStep 100N System Software"
- Windows can be installed from a normal Windows installation CD, and then the model-specific drivers can be installed from the "wizard" on the "Drivers..." CD. (This worked after installing Windows XP; don't know what other Windows versions are supported.)