Common Unix Printing System
The Common Unix Printing System, abbreviated "CUPS", is an API for providing printer services across different flavors of UNIX/Linux. It also provides a GUI application and web interface, for both usage and administration.
- 2007-04-16 hypertwins printing problem -- this is probably quite obsolete now
- class: a group of printers wherein the first available printer will accept each job sent to the class.
- job: a particular document submitted for printing by a particular client (machine) to a particular printer
- queue: a list of documents to be printed by a particular printer or class
There doesn't seem to be any catalog on the CUPS site of possible error messages and what they mean.
- Local authentication certificate not found!
To restart CUPS (on Ubuntu and similar distros, anyway) is:
invoke-rc.d cupsys restart
- Control panel applet won't browse Windows Network Neighborhood for printers: make sure python-smbc is installed