2006-11-06 mouse wheel settings tab missing
The "Wheel" tab on the mouse applet in the Control Panel on Mel's computer (running Windows XP) mysteriously went away after switching to a new mouse (which did have a scroll wheel). I had him delete the existing mouse driver and then reboot, so it would detect the new mouse and hopefully install a better-working driver, but...
- (17:03:31) MoeyTehr: The Wheel tab is still missing, meaning I can't adjust the scrolling speed
- (17:03:39) Woozle: feh.
- (17:04:00) Woozle: Was that tab just... there already, when WinXP was first installed?
- (17:04:12) MoeyTehr: It was there until I switched mice
- (17:04:21) Woozle: If you switch back, does it reappear?
- (17:04:26) MoeyTehr: I can check
- (17:04:31) Woozle: k
- (17:05:10) MoeyTehr: Yup. it does
- (17:05:18) MoeyTehr: And that mouse is working again...for the moment
- (17:05:19) Woozle: How... weird.
- (17:05:35) Woozle: I'll have to ask around, to see if anyone knows why that might happen.
- (17:05:58) Woozle: It may be that the other mouse's wheel has some special capability that this one doesn't, but I have no idea what that capability might be.
- (17:05:53) MoeyTehr: But here's another problem...with everytime I reboot the computer, I have to change the setting for the wheel speed
- (17:06:18) Woozle: You mean, it loses your setting and returns to its default?
- (17:06:31) MoeyTehr: Yeah
- (17:07:15) MoeyTehr: That's been happening ever since the computer was fixed
- (17:07:23) MoeyTehr: Wasn't a problem before the crash
The "fixing" he mentions is when I completely reinstalled WinXP.