Earth: United States: North Carolina: Durham: waste disposal
This page is about how and where to dispose of and/or recycle unwanted stuff in Durham, NC.
Information last updated 2006-07-23; if anything depends on this information, please verify it by following the links or calling the appropriate agencies.
- RTP Electronics Recycle Day: Sept. 26 (open only to employees of RTP businesses)
Great American Cleanup
Until recently, the only information about disposal of hazardous waste in Durham, NC appeared (inexplicably) to be available only in a PDF document (here) about Durham's annual recycling and waste-disposal event entitled "Durham's Great American Cleanup" (formerly "Durham spring clean & swap"). The following information is from that document.
Durham's Great American Cleanup is free to all City of Durham residents who bring acceptable items in acceptable vehicles as described below.
Fixable and reusable home items, office items, appliances, tools, and toys can be dropped at the SWAP area at the Waste Disposal & Recycling Center. No person may take more than 3 large items from the SWAP before 1 p.m.
The following items can be disposed of at the Waste Disposal & Recycling Center:
- yard waste
- bulky items such as broken appliances or furniture
- tires (off rims only)
- miscellaneous junk
- No shingles
- No household hazardous waste (HHW) (see #Hazardous Waste for HHW disposal information)
The following vehicles may bring in items for free:
- cars, pickup trucks, vans, trailers less than 8 feet
Charges for other vehicles are:
- $39.50 per ton of trash
- $24.00 per ton of wood or yard debris
Vehicles which will be charged specifically include:
- commercial vehicles
- cargo trucks
- stake-bodied trucks
- moving vans/trucks
- trailers over 8 feet
All uncovered loads are subject to a fine.
When & Where
- For 2006, this takes place on the following Saturdays:
- April 1 @ WDRC, DCS
- April 8 @ WDRC
- April 22 @ WDRC, LSC
- April 29 @ WDRC, UDI, SBP
- WDRC: City's Waste Disposal and Recycling Center, 2115 East Club Blvd.
- DCS: Durham County Stadium, 2700 Stadium Drive
- LSC: Lakewood Shopping Center, 2000 Chapel Hill Road
- UDI: UDI Industrial Park, 4608 Industry Lane
- SBP: City's Southern Boundaries Park, 3400 Third Fork Road
For 2006, Hazardous Waste Collection is available April 1, 8, 22, and 29, from 8:00 to 3:00. It's not clear whether stuff can be dropped off at other times, but here's the location:
- Location: 1900 East Club Blvd.