K, here's how I do it:
- Make sure you've got PHPMyAdmin running
and that's all happy. I won't cover this part here as it varies with your set up.
- Login and choose Export from the main page
- Leave most of the default options. Specifically,
- Format: SQL
- Select the database(s) you want in the listbox
- Checkmark 'Add DROP TABLE'. This will make sure that when you restore
from a backup, it will delete existing tables before restoring from the backed up ones.
- Checkmark 'Save to file' at the bottom, or it will just dump it to
your browser window, and that's no fun.
- You probably also want to use compression. These won't be huge files,
but a 1.5mb database compresses to about 150kb. So, y'know, whatever. Wiggy recommends BZIP.
- Click Go.
Restoring from backup
I'm writing this from memory, so I might be wrong, but I think it's right.
- Click Databases from the PHPMyAdmin main page
- Click the name of your databse (it should already exist; have you
[re]installed MediaWiki yet? Do that first.)
- Click the SQL tab
- Where it says Location of textfile:, browse to your latest
backup, then click Go. Good luck :E