Beyond Belief conference
The Beyond Belief conference "is an annual meeting organized by The Science Network (TSN), which brings together a community of concerned scientists, philosophers, scholars from the humanities, and social commentators to explore the human quest for the Good Life. The Science Network shares Carl Sagan’s vision of science as a candle in the dark. TSN is committed to enlarging the constituency of reason by making programs about science. More programs, more candles, more light."
Beyond Belief #1
Took place in 2006; no other information at present
Beyond Belief: Enlightenment 2.0
Took place 2007-11-01
- Session 1 (2:48:08) (intro has an interesting quote from the 10th century)
- 0:04:20 Darrin McMahon: is "Enlightenment 1.0" in need of an upgrade?
- Session 2 (3:43:58)
- 0:01:20 Rebecca Newberger Goldstein
- 0:32:30 John Allen Paulos discusses why arguments for God "just don't add up"
- 1:03:54 VS Ramachandran: C.P. Snow's "two cultures", and the human brain as an interface between the two; synesthesia and the ability to link seemingly unrelated ideas
- 1:41:00 Adam Kolber: law and neurotechnology
- 2:07:12 Jonathan Gottschall: "Literature, Science, and a New Humanities" (more on the "two cultures")
- 2:35:42 David Brin
- just David Brin video segment
- 3:00:30 Robert Winter