A transgender person is someone whose gender identity differs from their assigned gender. The word "transgender" can also be used with reference to community (e.g. the transgender community globally or in a given area) or with regard to various services used specifically by transgender people.
There is some ambiguity about whether "SRS" refers to a specific type of procedure or any surgery intended to alleviate gender dysphoria. Tentatively, it's the latter, while GRS (genital reconstruction surgery) is specifically "lower" surgery in both FtM and MtF patients. This area of HTYP needs to be updated to reflect these definitions.
- repost htwiki:gender identity stuff on HTYP as appropriate
- Trans is a 2012 documentary about being transgender.
- A transsexual is someone who has transitioned between genders.
- GLAAD's Transgender Media Program: media resources
- Diagnosis and Aetiology update 2012 (PDF)
- 2016-08-02 Detransition, Desistance, and Disinformation: A Guide for Understanding Transgender Children Debates (by Julia Serano): this is also a good guide to terminology and debates over transgender identity in general
to be filed
- 2016-06-10 Amazing Grace: The Gift of a Transgender Child (via)
- for Issuepedia:
- 2016-04-25 Do Trans Lives Really Matter?
- 2016-02-02 Fighting Back Against Anti-Transgender Talking Points by Brynn Tannehill